494 8th Avenue #1704
New York, NY 10001, USA
(212)944-9420 (212)944-9420

Violence Against Women (VAWA)

Adjustment of status in the United States is available to spouses of U.S. citizens, their children and the parents of U.S. citizens even if they entered the U.S. without visas. A battered alien’s children may also apply without a petition if the child can show he/she resided with the U.S. citizen when the child was battered or exposed to extreme cruelty. If the battered spouse in good faith married the U.S. citizen but the American citizen entered into a bigamous marriage the battered spouse or child may still qualify for VAWA. Even if the alien spouse or child is abroad and even if the victim alien spouse has divorced the U.S. citizen, still the alien spouse and child may apply.

The application by the abused victim must be made within two years of the occurrence but may be extended upon verifiable proof that the application could not have been filed within that time. A child victim must file before he/she attains the age of 25 if he/she can prove that the abuse from the American citizen had not terminated before the age of 21, provided that the child can prove that the abuse had started before 21.

An alien parent of a U.S. citizen may petition for VAWA even if the U.S. citizen renounced U.S. citizenship. Proof that the parent has resided with the U.S. citizen is required and also that the parent has been subjected to abuse or extreme cruelty. Adoptive parents and step parents are included in the definition of parent.

For an adoptive parent however, the adoptive parent must show evidence that the relationship with the adopted U.S. citizen child began before the U.S. child had reached the age of 16. The parents, step parents or adoptive parents can also apply outside the U.S. for VAWA.

All petitioners, spouses, children and parents, when approved are eligible to apply for permission to work. A battered spouse or child after receiving an approval may file for U.S. citizenship within 3 years.

If you need help or advise, Call Us: (212)944-9420 or Email:Info@oltarsh.com

Our assistance is only a phone call, or e-mail communication away!

Practice Areas

We represent individuals and corporations who wish to apply...


We handle all of the non-immigrant categories...

Deportation Defense

After decades of experience, we are fully aware of ...

Work Visas

Immediate relatives(IR) include children, spouses ...


We have successfully applied for persons who have...


Two classes of visas are processed by U.S. Consulates...


Featured News


Immigration Solutions


 Hello Jennifer just want to say "THANK YOU", God bless you!. We recovered our happiness, my nephews kids are the most happiest kids in the world because they finally can play with their father. Once again thank you very much to you and your staff, specially Romina, she has been very kind and helpful with our communications. Thank you and have a wonderful day!!!! Released From Jail on December 2012 


 This is an unbelievable gift for the Holidays! I am actually driving to Mexico now to spend the New Year with my wife and I am taking her a car that I bought for her...when I saw this mail my heart was pounding and I had to stop the car...thank you Romina and Jennifer I 

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial