Call Us Today
Oltarsh & Associates, P.C. EN ESPAÑOL

Can You Have Dual Citizenship In The US

Many people born in the United States have never even heard of the idea of dual citizenship. However, people who come to the United States from other countries tend to be familiar with the idea.

At the most basic level, dual citizenship allows a person to be a resident of two countries at the same time. In practice, it can be a bit more confusing.

The United States and certain other countries do not allow dual citizenship, which means that many people that come to the U.S. and become naturalized citizens must give up their citizenship in the country they were born in. However, the United States and certain other countries do allow dual citizenship– countries like Canada, France and Australia.


How Does Dual Citizenship Work?

People that are citizens of both the United States and a foreign country must apply to do so. Generally, people applying to become naturalized citizens in the United States are interested in keeping their citizenship in their home country.

With dual citizenship, the person is required to obey the laws of both countries, and either country has the right to enforce their laws. This is particularly important for people that travel between the United States and another country.

Not all countries allow dual citizenship, and the United States doesn’t allow you to be a citizen of certain other countries while retaining citizenship in the United States. Typically, countries with good relationships with the US government do allow dual citizenship, but that isn’t always the case.

In the event that there is any discrepancy, it is the United States government’s position that country where the person is located at the time has the greatest claim to the person’s allegiance.


Why Dual Citizenship?

Many people claim dual citizenship because they feel a connection to the place where they were born, but also want to become citizens of the United States, where they now live. Most people interested in dual citizenship plan on traveling between the two countries frequently and want to enjoy the rights of a naturalized citizen in both countries. Some people even vote in major elections in both countries, as is their right to do so as a citizen of two countries.


Applying for Dual Citizenship

If you are a United States citizen, you may be granted citizenship in another country through marriage only. If you apply for dual citizenship in another country, you may lose your U.S. citizenship. People born in the United States that wish to remain citizens are strongly discouraged from applying for citizenship somewhere else.

If you are a citizen of another country and apply for naturalization through form application N-400 after having your green card, and pass the naturalization test, you may be granted dual citizenship if the other country allows it. However, not all countries allow dual citizenship, and like in the United States, certain countries may take away your citizenship if you apply in the U.S.

Before applying for citizenship in the United States, you should check with your home country’s office of immigration services or the proper handling bureau to fully understand the potential repercussions of applying for citizenship in the United States.


Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

494 8th Avenue
Suite 1704
New York, New York 10001

Phone: 212-944-9420
Fax: 212-944-9120
New York Law Office Map