(212) 944-9420

Visit Us On TwitterVisit Us On FacebookVisit Us On Linkedin

How to Apply for a Green Card

NY Green Card Application

Help With Your NY Green Card Application

If you are interested in getting a green card so that you can permanently live and work in the U.S., there are several options to consider. A NY green card application must be completed correctly and include the right types of supporting evidence and documentation. When you work with an experienced New York immigration attorney at Oltarsh & Associates, your lawyer can help you to choose the right type of visa to apply for so that you can become a permanent U.S. resident and help to ensure your application is completed correctly to increase your likelihood of success.

Having a Sponsor in the U.S.

Most people applying for a green card must complete an immigrant petition and Form I-485, which is the application for a green card. In most cases, you will need someone who files the petition on your behalf and serves as your sponsor. Some of the most common types of green card applications that can be filed by U.S. sponsors include the following:

  • Petition on behalf of a relative – Form I-130
  • Petition on behalf of a foreign worker – Form I-140
  • Petition on behalf of a relative who is an asylee or refugee – Form I-730

Other Types of Green Card Applications

Some other types of green card applications include the following:

  • Application for asylum status and withholding of removal – Form I-589
  • Petition for a special immigrant, widow, widower. or Amerasian – Form I-360
  • Petition for immigrant status by a foreign entrepreneur – Form I-526
  • Petition for nonimmigrant status with a U-visa – Form I-918
  • Petition for qualifying family member for a nonimmigrant with a U-1 visa – Form I-929

Applying Within or Without the U.S.

If you meet the eligibility requirements for a green card, you will then need to figure out whether you should apply for an adjustment of status within the U.S. or go through consular processing in your home country outside of the U.S. Your current location determines which process to use. If you are already in the U.S. with a valid visa, you will apply for an adjustment of status. If you have an approved petition for immigration and a visa is available, you can file Form I-485 to adjust your status or register permanent residence. If you don’t already have an approved petition, look at the eligibility requirements for your category to determine whether you can file the petition and Form I-485 at the same time. Your immigration lawyer can help you understand the process to use. If you are currently outside of the U.S., you will need to go through consular processing instead.

Basic Application Process

The steps to take to apply for a green card will depend on your situation and the type of immigrant visa for which you are applying. In general, the basic process involves the following:

  • Someone files a petition on your behalf, or you might be eligible to file a petition for yourself.
  • Once the petition is approved by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), you can apply for a green card with the USCIS or with the U.S. Department of State once a visa becomes available.
  • Attend a biometrics appointment and submit your fingerprints, have a photograph taken, and provide your signature.
  • Attend your immigration interview.
  • Wait for the decision on your application.

If your address changes after filing your application, you are required to update your address information. if you don’t, you might have to reapply and pay a new fee, or your case could be delayed.

Get Legal Help With Your NY Green Card Application

The immigration process in the U.S. is complex and confusing. If you are interested in filing a New York immigration application, it is important to retain an experienced immigration lawyer for help with the process. An attorney at Oltarsh & Associates can help you determine which type of immigrant visa is the right one for your situation. Your attorney can help you understand the types of documentary evidence you need to submit with your petition and application and ensure that everything is completed correctly. To learn more about how we can help, call Oltarsh & Associates today at (212) 944-9420.

Related Posts