Call Us Today
Oltarsh & Associates, P.C. EN ESPAƑOL


A permanent resident can lose their permanent residence if he/she remains outside the U.S for one day more than one year. A primary residence in the U.S. is necessary to apply to Immigration for citizenship. Normally residents who need to stay outside the U.S. for more than one year must apply for a re-entry permit which permits the applicant to remain outside the U.S. for up to two years without losing permanent residence.For citizenship one needs to physically be in the U.S at least 30 months out of the previous 60. Even though the Re-entry permit permits a stay abroad for up to two years, to naturalize if you stay out of the U.S. more than one year, can only be accepted four years and one day after the foreign sojourn.If an applicant is working for the U.S. government on a research institution or a U.S. company engaged in the development of foreign trade or a U.S. public international organization, the applicant may preserve residence even if remaining abroad for one year or more by filing an immigration form to preserve residence for naturalization purposes
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

494 8th Avenue
Suite 1704
New York, New York 10001

Phone: 212-944-9420
Fax: 212-944-9120
New York Law Office Map