Call Us Today
Oltarsh & Associates, P.C. EN ESPAÑOL

October 2008 Archives


You can apply for citizenship after three years if you are married to a U.S. citizen for three years even if your conditional residence condition has not yet been changed to permanent residence.You don’t have to wait to remove the condition if you’ve properly filed and the Immigration Service hasn’t yet acted. For conditional residents the waiting time for citizenship is the same provisional residents as for permanent residents. You can also file for citizenship three months before the three years of residence are fulfilled.


For the 2009 lottery program, there are strict requirements. The greater number of visas will go to regions with low rates of immigration .The following countries are not available:Brazil, Canada, China (mainland-born), Colombia, Dominican Republic,Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, India, Jamaica, Mexico, Pakistan,Philippines, Peru, Poland, Russia, South Korea, United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland), and its dependent territories, and Vietnam. Persons born Hong Kong SAR, Macau and Taiwan are eligible. Applications must be submitted between Wednesday, October 1, 2007 and December 2, 2008: 55,000 diversity visas are available. Normally nationality depends on where you are born; however, if you are ineligible because your country is barred or if your spouse is eligible, or neither of your parents were born or resided in the barred country at your birth, you may claim eligibility by one of your parent’s country of birth or by your wife’s nationality.To qualify you must either have a high school education or its equivalent or two years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation requiring at least two years of training or experience. Only completed electronic diversity visa entry forms are acceptable. Recent photographs must also be submitted including spouse and children under 21.All individuals will be notified by mail between May and July, 2009.


The Immigration Service has created a new test for the ostensible purpose of applicants learning to identify the basic values of citizenship. There are new reading tests, and also history and government questions.These tests will be used for applicants who apply after October 1, 2008. For permanent residents who apply after October 1, 2008, we have acquired the questions and answers and we would be pleased to provide them to any applicant who wishes to use our services.


In New York, a divorce may be obtained for the following reasons: 1. For cruel and inhuman treatment that endangers physical or mental well being so that it is unsafe and improper for a defendant to continue to live together with the plaintiff;2. Abandonment for a period of one or more years by the defendant;3. Prison confinement for three or more consecutive years after marriage;4. Adultery or deviate sexual intercourse with a person other than the spouse after marriage;5. The husband and wife have lived apart by a judgment of separation for one or more years after the judgment;6. The husband and wife have lived apart pursuant to a written agreement of separation subscribed by the parties and acknowledged in the form required to entitle a deed to be recorded for a period of one year or more after the execution of the agreement. The agreement must be filed
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

494 8th Avenue
Suite 1704
New York, New York 10001

Phone: 212-944-9420
Fax: 212-944-9120
New York Law Office Map