Call Us Today
Oltarsh & Associates, P.C. EN ESPAƑOL


Any Cuban and his/her immediate relatives including spouses and children they have married or have had after the Cuban has been inspected or admitted or paroled into the U.S, may apply for permanent residence one year after admission. There is no time limitation on an application for adjustment. As long as the spouse or child is living with the Cuban, the spouse or child need not be Cuban. However, at the time of an interview for adjustment of status the Cuban must be alive for the spouse or child to become a resident. An exception to this rule is available for a battered spouse or child. An entrance to the U.S., under a tourist visa or even a visa waiver application for permanent residence after one year and this is permissible even if the Cuban has acquired another nationality. This open ended law even extends to Cubans who did not arrive at a designated port of entry, that is, who entered without inspection, provided that the Cuban surrenders himself to the Immigration Services, thereby enabling the Service to parole him/her pending a decision of an Immigration Judge. A Cuban may apply for Adjustment of Status before an Immigration Judge even though he/she entered without inspection.For Cancellation of Removal: Cubans, their spouses and children or their overage sons or daughters who have been in the U.S. for more than 10 years may apply for Adjustment of Status even though they entered the U.S. without inspection. For those who have had criminal convictions, a remedy for less than serious crimes exists through a waiver; for serious crimes a waiver may exist on a showing of exceptional and extremely unusual hardship.Under the Cuban Refugee Act Cubans are granted 30 months retroactive residence from the date of their applications.
Email Us For A Response

How Can We Help You

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

494 8th Avenue
Suite 1704
New York, New York 10001

Phone: 212-944-9420
Fax: 212-944-9120
New York Law Office Map