Spouses Of U.S. Citizens Can Obtain Lawful Permanent Resident Status (A Green Card)

U.S. citizens can petition to regularize their foreign-born spouses, whether in the United States or outside the country, to legally obtain permanent residence status, a green card. This involves filing the Petition for Alien Relative, Form I-130.

The good news is that there is no annual limit to the number of immediate relative visas for spouses of U.S. citizens. If you can prove eligibility, your spouse will be able to obtain an immigrant visa immediately, without the priority wait-list delay, eventually obtaining lawful permanent resident status and perhaps citizenship.

There are several eligibility requirements that you must meet in order to qualify and our firm can help with the process to make it as simple and non-stressful as possible.

At Oltarsh & Associates, P.C. we evaluate every case and handle each phase of the petition through to the conclusion of your case. Mistakes and incomplete petitions can result in significant delay or stymie the process. Our firm has been a leading immigration law firm in New York for over 50 years. Call 212-944-9420 to schedule an initial evaluation or to set up an appointment.

Is Your Spouse Currently In The U.S.?

If the foreign national spouse entered the US with a lawful admission the spouse can adjust status. Most classes of entry allow for adjustment of status. There are significant exceptions and for that reason it is important to have competent counsel to guide you through the process. If the entry was unlawful there may be still be manners to obtain a green card with a provisional waiver. Contact us to discuss the matter as we have had over 50 years of work in this field and have held countless individuals obtain their permanent residence.

Can A Lawful Permanent Resident Get A Visa For His Or Her Spouse?

It is possible for green card holders (LPRs) to petition for their spouses. The requirements for this category differ from the immediate relative category. For example, spouses of permanent residents in the United States can only adjust if they are in legal status at the time of the adjustment application.

In addition, visas on behalf of spouses of permanent residents are part of the priority waitlist and often can take up to two years. Please reach out to us to discuss your situation.

We Know Marriage Visas. Let Us Help.

In immigration matters relating to spousal visas, mistakes can be costly. Put your petition in the best position to succeed with Oltarsh & Associates, P.C., a premier New York City immigration law firm. Please reach out to our attorneys, lawyers who have experience to handle your immigration matter. To have a phone consultation, we can be reached at 212-944-9420  or online.