Abused Spouses Can Petition To Remain Legally In The United States

It is not necessary to remain in an abusive relationship in order to obtain a green card. In response to the dangers to abused spouses of residents and citizens in order to help them remain in the United States laws were passed to assist those abused in obtaining residence without involvement of the abuser

Immediate family members of U.S. citizens or permanent residents who are the victims of domestic violence can petition to obtain legal status in the U.S. without their abuser being aware of the petition. This is a tool enacted by Congress to protect victims of abuse under the Violence against Women Act (VAWA). This protection is available to both men and women who have been abused by their spouse, parent or child.

To self-petition or to file form I-360 the petition must be filled the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and contain substantial information. Our firm is particularly aware of the difficulties faced by abused women as well as men. We can help you with this petition and we have had a large degree of success in helping victims of domestic violence get green cards and have moved on in a positive matter.

At Oltarsh & Associates, P.C., we have been helping immigrants to the U.S. in difficult situations for over 50 years. Our lawyers practice in immigration law because we believe in helping people. We are proud to help our clients obtain a domestic violence green card.

Our clients, upon obtaining permanent status, feel that they have moved on in a positive matter.

Throughout your case, we will clearly explain your options. We will always act with your best interests in mind and provide you with the opportunity to choose what you want to do.

We speak Spanish, French, Turkish, Italian and Romanian, and other language services are available upon request. We are located in New York City. Call 212-944-9420. You can also reach us by email.